OVERVIEW, RULES, & GUIDELINES
Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in penalties or disqualification from this and/or future competitions.
The Mulroy Real Estate Challenge at Villanova University will be a real estate development case competition. The case will center on financial analysis and project feasibility, with minor design features. The purpose of the competition is to provide students with the opportunity to showcase their talents and interact with both industry leaders and student peers.
Once distributed on Monday, March 1st, questions regarding the specifics of the case should be submitted by email to Professor Shawn Howton (firstname.lastname@example.org) and a copy to Jessica Taylor (email@example.com). If the question is deemed critical, the question and the answer will be distributed to all teams. All questions must be submitted by 8:00 AM (EST) on Thursday, March 4th for consideration.
The case will be distributed at 09:00 AM (EST) on Monday, March 1st to each fully registered team via email and Dropbox link. Submissions will be due by 11:59 PM (EST) on Sunday, March 7th.
The online submissions will be judged remotely. The top 16 teams selected from among these submissions will be invited to semi-finals and finals via Zoom. The first round decisions will be announced Monday, March 15th.
Semi-finals and finals for the Mulroy Real Estate Challenge will be held virtually on Friday, March 26th, 2021 through Zoom.
Business dress is required on the virtual presentation day.
There will be three (3) competition rounds.
- Round 1 will be remote. Each team will submit a PowerPoint presentation (20-slide maximum) and an Executive Summary (single sheet maximum, double sided) to be judged remotely. Teams may also submit a full version of their PowerPoint presentation (no slide limit) with appendices included to be utilized for Rounds 2 and 3, which will only be seen by judges, if selected to advance.
- NOTE: The full presentation and appendices will NOT be shared with judges during Round 1 of the competition. March 7th is the final date to submit both the condensed and extended versions of teams’ presentations. There is no other opportunity past this date to submit files. Both versions of the PowerPoint presentation and the Executive Summary will be due via Dropbox on Sunday, March 7th by 11:59 PM (EST). Late submissions will not be accepted.
- No changes are permitted to a team’s slides or executive summary beyond the 11:59 PM (EST), March 7th submission deadline. Only one submission is allowed per team.
- Judges will select the 16 semi-finalist teams by evaluating the preliminary presentations and executive summaries. Determinations will be announced on March 15, 2021.
Semi-finals and Finals
- Semi-finalist teams announced on March 15th will be invited to present virtually on Friday, March 26th.
- As in past years there will be a semi-final round and a final round. Team presentations in each round must be no longer than 20 minutes. Each team member is required to have a speaking role. A time‐keeper will ensure that presentations do not exceed 20 minutes. Each presentation will be followed by 10 minutes of judges’ questions. If the presentation is less than 20 minutes the judges’ questions can fill the remainder of the 30 minute total time allowed for each presentation. During semi-finals, judge feedback will be emailed to each team.
- Semi-final round presentation times, presentation order, and breakout room assignments will be randomly assigned by draw. The first presentation will begin at 9:00 AM (EST).
- Only the presenting students, timekeepers and the judges will be present in the breakout room for semi-final presentations. The judges will determine the top teams from each semi-final room and those teams will present in the final round in an open forum with all participants (teams, advisors, judges and sponsors) present.
- Final round presentation times and presentation order will be randomly assigned by draw. The first presentation of finals will begin at the at 1:15 PM (EST).
- Minimum cash awards of $5000, $3000, and $2000 will be distributed to the first, second, and third place team respectively. The awards will be distributed through U.S. mail and are considered taxable income.
Each team will consist of four undergraduate student members. Gender diverse teams are strongly encouraged. Each university may submit no more than two teams. Final eligibility determinations will be made by Villanova University.
Each team member must submit a one-page PDF resume and headshot (as a separate file) for inclusion in the Mulroy Challenge resume book. Any material exceeding one page will not be included. All students, judges, and advisory council attendees will be provided with an electronic copy of the resume book which will include judge bios and all participant resumes.
Each team will select a team name that has no connection to their university, geographic region or any other characteristic that may hint at the identity of the team’s university. Teams will not provide any indication of which school they are representing and should refer to themselves by competition team names only. This includes PowerPoint slides, clothing, etc. The anonymity of the teams is central to all teams being treated with impartiality by the judges.
Each team will have at least one faculty advisor. The faculty advisor’s role is to acknowledge and approve the team’s participation on behalf of the university and confirm that all team members are currently enrolled students of the university.
Advisors are prohibited from providing the team with any guidance on the case once it has been distributed. The case is to be completed by the team members only, with no outside advisement or involvement of any other stakeholders. Advisors are welcomed and encouraged to attend the competition, but are not required to do so.
Please note, logistical questions may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
All materials used in the case presentation by teams will become the property of the Mulroy Real Estate Challenge at Villanova University.